Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thanks to a post by Maria Anderson, I was inspired by the TED video shown in my last post by Neil Turok. His background slides (which had huge visual impact) were created using worldmapper.org. I navigated to the site to explore some more. What a great way to incorporate some social justice ideas into your math course. The files come with MSExcel ready data and posters that can be printed.



The first image is a plain old map of the world. The second map has been created such that territory size is proportional to the world distribution of the excess male over female enrolment in primary education.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this website! I hope you don't mind that I mentioned this on my blog, with full props to you :) What I especially love is that these maps can totally fuel critical literacy conversations. These maps are very conducive to conversations about power relations, gender, class and race and the effects each has on the various factors that can be mapped. What a fabulous tool I can see this working especially in World Issues. Teachers should know about this!!

    ReplyDelete