Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Calling Quadratics???

This year, I am lucky enough to be a part of the math coaching initiative funded by the Ministry of Ontario. This role allows me to sit with 1 (or a couple of) teacher(s) and work collaboratively on lessons with the goal of increased student learning. We try to go as deep as we can both in our thinking of the mathematical content and also in the instructional strategies we can use with our students. I was working with one group last week where the expectations were focussed on a quadratics lesson. Immediately, a recent post by Dan Myer titled, What can you do with this: Projectile Motion, came to mind.

The group I was working with was pumped to incorporate his idea into their lesson. As we continued with the lesson, we got hung up on the idea of coming up with real-world models that were in fact, quadratic. The conversation was good.

Today I was catching up on some new posts and read Kate Nowak's post: f(t): Real World Once Again Inconvenient. She had also taken Dan's idea and morphed it into her own lesson.

Surely, I have to share this with my group. The power that blogging can bring to collaboration and refining an idea is unlimited. This is a great way for teachers to connect, collaborate and create.

No comments:

Post a Comment