Thursday, September 10, 2009

My First Class Blog

Being so impressed at the personal growth I have experienced through the world of blogs, I made it a professional goal this year to try a class blog in my Grade 12 Advanced Functions course. I used Darren Kuropatwa's suggestions for setting up the blog and an article I found through Will Richardson's blog as my "first blog assignment"(more-less just to get the students on and me trying to figure out how it's going to work).

So far, everything has worked out pretty well. I am a bit disappointed by the spelling issues creeping up in the comments.

The article that I had asked students to comment on was a TIME article titled, "The Way We'll Work". I asked them to comment on how the article connects to how they will approach this course. As I read the comments, I feel some students are trying to write what they think I want to hear rather than really thinking about the greater connection.

I guess (hope) they're just testing me as well.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie,

    I plan to lurk at your new class blog, if you don't mind. The posts come into to Google Reader highly truncated - there is likely a setting to send the entire post in the RSS feed.

    I didn't read the student's comments too carefully, but was impressed by their length.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ross! I would love to have your feedback regarding our class blog. I've tried to fix the blog so that the the posts will no longer be truncated. Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie! I'm so glad you found blogging to be a useful tool. I'd love to see how your kids interact with the class blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Christine! I'd love for you to check out the class blog and give some feedback. The link is http://advancedfunctions09-10.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete